Sunday, September 5, 2010

Easing back

In the past two months my life has changed drastically. In that time I've decided to step back from my hobby, and embrace my "real" career again. Don't mistake me, I will never step back from taking photographs. I still love to take them. If possible, I love to edit them even more. It's a funny feeling. When you take a photograph with an idea in your mind. That you know that you can "create" given the time and the tools. Though I think there's a lot to be said for those pictures that come out perfect, unedited.

Do you like processed photos better? I do. I feel it's true art, because it's the physical know how to take an awesome photo in the first place, coupled with the stylization of an idea that lives in the artists head.

It was a huge turning point for me to stop taking and creating those "pretty pictures." Or to, as I think of it, add a little grunge. Perhaps all of us see things with some kind of filter, be in rose colored (literally) or glamor. Maybe just that vivid pop which I admire so much from some of my friends work. Lately, I've seen nothing but "grunge." Muted tones, with overpowering blacks. I've seen the UN-perfect picture. I see flaws, and I like them. It makes me feel human.

This photo captures, in not the best original image, some of the ideas in my head.

There's a darkness to this manner of seeing things. It's one thing to portray perfect color. But, given enough time, anyone can shoot perfect color. Though, that is most definitely one of the talents I admire in my photographer friends. Overpowering colors, especially in this shimmering desert sun is a talent I am still working on with each and every click of the shutter.

I believe the hint of reflection in these glasses is the focus here. There's an undertow here. That's what I love about it. I wonder how many people who aren't photographers would notice the reflection. Always check the reflection in photographs, you'll often find a moment that was never meant to be caught.
I had an idea in mind when I took this photo. The beginning of an story; a fairy tale of sorts. But not the kind that would turn out so well.
My mind need not visit the gutter, of late, it's stayed in the dark tunnels located below.
I've often been accused of living in my own world. Perhaps I SHOULD keep my feet on the ground. But frankly, I like it better meandering the paths in my mind. It's not always the safest place, but to my joy, there are terrors and beauty. The dark underside hides always just at the surface.
At least, lately, that's the filter my eyes have been looking through lately.

1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful thoughts. I love to see your visions realized.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts....

I've always cherished photographs. The moments and emotions they capture, frozen for reflection. From quiet stolen moments to the most garish rebel rouser, all can be preserved forever.
For this reason I'm never happier than when I'm behind a camera. I can't wait to meet you, and to start helping capture your memories.

About Me

My photo
Arlington, TX
Ridiculous facts discovered by me! Occasionally peppered with rants regarding popular subjects or any other thing that happens to cross my mind.

Followers